Theatre & Arts
This team receives market acclaim as a ‘wonderful one-stop shop for all third sector matters.
Our experienced Theatre & Arts team is ranked as a first-tier firm by both the Legal 500 and Chambers UK legal directories.
We advise across the whole arts industry, providing practical, effective advice to our varied clients. A number of our team are board members of leading arts organisations, which enables us to bring a unique perspective to our legal work with the sector.
Our engagement with the whole Arts sector also includes a range of other activities and we are regularly called on to provide comment and articles, as well as lecturing and leading workshops, seminars and training.
We advise clients across the whole arts industry, including:
- Commercial theatre producers
- Theatre owners
- Regional producing theatres
- Drama schools
- Opera and dance companies
We work with a wide range of arts organisations in London and throughout the UK.
Client Services: Theatre
- Production issues for plays, musicals, opera, ballet and dance
- Raising finance for productions
- International transfers and touring
- Author agreements and the acquisition of underlying rights
- Cast and creative team agreements
- Venue agreements
- Co-production agreements
- Capital project financing
- Advising on local authority projects, including the transfer out of assets
- Property issues: acquisitions and disposals
- Arts organisation restructuring and formation of independent arts charities
- Charity law advice and advising on governance
- Setting up theatre companies
- VAT and other tax issues
- Worker rights: freelancers and employees
- Work permit related advice and other immigration issues.
Client Services: Arts
- Charity law issues for Museums, Galleries and other arts organisations
- Provenance issues
- Exhibitions and the loan of works of art
- Advising on installations, digital media and multimedia artworks
- Literary Prizes
- Sponsorship agreements
- Copyright trademark and other IP advice
- Data protection and Freedom of information advice
- Trademark advice and registration